Sydney, May 26 (ANI): New South Wales Cricket are poised to offer Otago 250,000 American dollars for Brendon McCullum’s services in the inaugural Champions League Twenty20 tournament after losing David Warner to the Delhi Daredevils.
In a merry-go-round of international stars, Warner is likely to feature for Delhi and McCullum could play for NSW in the tournament, which was expanded from eight to 12 teams at the weekend, and will be played in India from October 8 to 23, reports the Sydney Morning Herald.
“There is no doubt having Brendon McCullum in your team increases your chances of a win, that is an undeniable fact,” Cricket NSW chief executive David Gilbert said.
“It’s about ensuring we have got all the bases covered. [Making Otago an offer] is certainly something we will consider. It is a cost-neutral exercise,” he added.
Otago have not ruled out the possibility of taking the cash in exchange for their highest-profile player.
“Given the fact he has played for them in the last 12 months, I think it could happen,” Otago chief executive Ross Dykes said.
“You can’t ignore figures like that. But on the other hand, you have loyalty reasons for which you wouldn’t want to do it. Brendon would have to be involved in these discussions,” he added.
The Champions League includes the best domestic Twenty20 sides from around the world. The initial plan was to feature eight teams – two each from India, Australia and South Africa, with one from Pakistan and England. But after Pakistan refused to clear its players to travel to India – a stance taken after the fallout of the Mumbai bombings – organisers have revised the tournament.
Now there is a third Indian team (Delhi) to join the IPL’s finalists Deccan and Bangalore, and additional teams from Sri Lanka (Wayamba), the West Indies (Trinidad and Tobago), Otago and the two finalists from England’s domestic tournament to be decided on August 25.
NSW and Victoria had already qualified, along with South Africa’s Cape Cobras and Eagles. (ANI)